Denormalization is the process of optimizing the performance of a database by adding redundant data. It is the responsibility of database designer to denormalize up to some extent which should not impact the cost of the database. It plays vital role in physical data modeling process. It is quiet opposite to Normalization in which we try to improve the performance of the database by removing the redundant data. We can’t say Normalization is always the better way to optimize the database. Sometimes adding redundant data also helps in optimizing the database. It has few benefits and drawbacks too.
- No need to store many tables
- Reduce the number of joins
- Reduce the constraints and indices
- Slow down the data modification
- Need to store many records in the table